Skip to main content

Reply to "I'm so glad I had my son skip.."

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by 4seamer:

13u.  He's still only 11 (12 in Nov) but went from the small field to the big field in August playing in 14u. Best decision I ever made. He's a catcher so maybe it would have been different if he played somewhere else - certainly if he pitched. But as a receiver, I'm glad I walked him past 13u. Pitchers actually throw 90% over the plate instead of bouncing their pitches in the dirt 10' in front of the plate, they hold runners better so he has a chance to throw them out, and there appears to be less drama - more dugout fun and less 'can I play on this field' concerns. Curious about the experiences other catching families had on the big field jump. 

I don't know.  Around my parts, no 12u kid is going to be able to complete at 14u.  Can he throw to 2B on a line, no rainbow?  Otherwise, I'd be worried about some bad mechanical habits creeping in. 

I think it would depend on his size Golfman25. I know my son last year could have been competitive on the big field at age 12 in the Spring, but it was more fun to watch him tower over the other kids at Cooperstown. 

When he was called to the mound from 1B to pitch to the last few batters of the last inning there was an audible groan from the opposing team, looking at a 70mph pitch from a 50' mound had to have been scary!

Just keep the fire to complete burning in your son's heart.  Because most likely at age 17 or so there will be a few other kids that will be equal or better in talent and size.