Skip to main content

Reply to "I need answers"

TR

I agree with you about every hitter being different, and only one style working. BUT...

I believe this is a different dilema, one which I personally have been through. Coach has a philosophy about hitting, and in my opinion wrong , Again my opinion. Hitting down on the ball is good for a contact hitter ie, put the ball in play...move the runner...small ball. NOW, nothing wrong with small ball, I believe there is a time and place for it. Our HS coach, simply had no faith in anyones ability to hit...easier said he was a great defensive player is college but couldn't hit...and that's how he coached. I won't go into personal story...I have to go to work, and could talk about this for days!!!!!

HS ball is important in a boy's life, but sometimes these "little generals" over coach without true knowledge. This may cause players to get overlooked and not go on to play at a higher level because of no chance.

Unfortunately, this coaches style will decide who may play, or not make the team.

Long story short, My son is playing D-I ball now, dispite having his worst year ever as a senior (he did what the coach asked)...I and he still believe that the coach is in charge and you do what is asked.

After the season ended, he took 2 months off completely to forget all the wrong habits, and is know back in stride.

To answer, WY's question...I believe in the first philosophy more than the 2nd...but you still have to produce (execute) the play. Hands back, balance and proper weight distribution, hands inside the ball, and more importantly.. have a plan at the plate! Hitting is more than just swinging at the ball. A hitters count verses a pitchers count will lead to more success than just being able to put the bat on the ball.