Skip to main content

Reply to "I95 Metro Baseball Showcase Stadium Series"

Hi all, just to close the loop wanted to share feedback based on our experience, I've shared the same with the event organizers.

What worked well:

• Variety and # of colleges in attendance was EXCELLENT!
  • Organization and information provided prior to day of showcase
  • Registration for kids in the AM
  • Coordination of kids on the field and movement from station to station for primary positions and pitchers
  • Talk with parents prior to showcase
  • Details shared by college coaches with parents about the recruiting process
  • Flow of event for coaches and their ability to focus on one child at a time
  • Downtime was as to be expected and as per information provided prior to showcase

Opportunities for improvement:

• Might have had too many kids in the AM slot?  The AM session ran over due to pitching.  Maybe have a pitching only showcase in the future?
  • As soon as pitching was completed coaches went to eat lunch (as they should, it was time to eat 😊
  • However, AM players had little to no guidance on where they should huddle to hear closing information and or where to go to interact with coaches
  • The players in the morning session did not get to interact with coaches prior to the lunch break.  This was extremely disappointing for my son and did not meet what was described in FAQs, see excerpt below
  • Coach from Brown made a key comment.  “Baseball is about relationships and that is what you are here for.  I get emails from kids all the time letting me know they will be at a showcase and then follow up with me after the showcases, but never approach me during the event”.  Sadly, the AM session did not accommodate time for players to approach coaches without interpreting them from either watching another player or during their lunch.
  • PM session kids and parents filled the venue making it very confusing to define end of AM and beginning of PM sessions
  • It was impossible to hear the Duke coach during his talk to parents (people were letting out from the other events at the facility, e.g. basketball kids and parents), he should have had a microphone.  The space quieted just a bit by the time the Coach from Brown was up to speak, but think that even the coach from Brown would have benefited from a microphone
  • Finally, the call to have kids go out for their secondary positions in front of coaches was not as well coordinated.  E.g. those that are primary 3rd base and secondary 1st base.

Based on all of the above we will definitely consider attending a future i95 Metro Baseball showcase and recommend it to friends in my area if above were to be improved and set time for players to interact with coaches was defined in the agenda for the session.

Last edited by myboys