Skip to main content

Reply to "Ice after pitching?"

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoPete:
I asked this question many times...Son was told its up to him. or ..if you ice continue to ice...if not dont start, but always run after pitching. Well we wrestled with this for about a year. Well after pitching last year with elbow pain, we decided to go seek help.....Him and I found someone we could trust after a long search..guy was a therapist for the CHICAGO CUBS his office is about a mile from Wrigley field and had resume to prove it. He stated the following: ICE AFTER THROWING FOR 20 MIN THEN NO ICE....THEN ANOTHER 20 MIN!!! (if possible get some ultrasound therapy after that) Son has been feeling better since....so you must ICE.....and run to prevent lactic acid buildup...best of luck guys!!

I hope your son is over 16 years of age? Problem with therapists who work on "Chicago Cubs" is that they normally don't work on the pediatric patient. Otherwise they would know that ultrasound is contraindicated around elbows or other areas with active growth plates. If its a kid stay away from ultrasound to be safe!