Skip to main content

Reply to "Identfying a "right" college"

"Take every opportunity to visit colleges - whether it's the local JUCO or the one you drive by on that long family vacation. Does junior want small, large, rural, city, commuter, south, north, cold, warm, whatever? "  -Goosegg

This part I feel is huge.  I vividly remember at age 10 visiting Wake Forest, Clemson, Furman, and Sewanee, for example.    Relax........I was tagging along with older college bound siblings!

Those first impressions stuck with me thru my son's recruitment even though I never went to any of them, nor did siblings, but the experience actually helped me guide him.  On one long baseball road trip, son and I, added up the number of colleges he'd played baseball or basketball at, or had recruit visits at; final tally was something like 45+ .

My understanding and knowledge of "College" began at age 10, because I had one parent who went, and two older siblings who went before me.  I can not imagine how a 15-year old baseball player, with parents who never attended college, and has no older siblings who have gone, makes this decision?  It must be extremely intimidating, and full of pitfalls.

Therefore, one bonus to showcasing early and often, is getting on and seeing as many college campuses as possible.  Like Goosegg says, "Take every opportunity to visit colleges."  This means when on road trip to go play at X-University 6-hours away, and 4-hours in you see sign that reads, "A-University  Exit 4," take the time to do a quick detour while you are in that part of the country.  Even if he says he has no interest in A-University.  He's 15, good chance that will change by 17.  Very good chance if A-U wants him for baseball! 

You begin doing this early and by the time Jr. is fielding interest and hopefully offers from A-University and X and Z-University it will really pay off.  Might even save you time and money later on in the process.