Skip to main content

Reply to "Identfying a "right" college"

This is an excellent synopsis of the recruiting process.  Well done.

I really do feel badly often for many folks because the process is harder now than when our family was going through it.  Son ended up choosing between 2 offers. One was from a school in our state, and his state earned money ended up putting money in his pocket.  UF was 5 hours away, Clemson 12 hours.  Either one meant little or no college debt, which was our main goal. Sons goal was which one would provide the better opportunity to turn pro in 3 years.  Both offered on his skills on the field and in the classroom. It's then when I realized what THE most important element was to the process, good grades and test scores.  No coach wants to offer a coveted percentage of 1 scholarship to anyone who won't remain eligible.  Unless things change, there is much more academic money available than athletic in baseball.  With that in mind, a walk on offer should only be when the player doesnt need an athletic scholarship and will be part of the 35 man roster.  If that doesn't describe the offer, go find a coach who wants you and willing to give up something for it.  JMO

As far as an offer, never let a coach give you an ultimatum, committed now or walk. Walk. That right there tells you a lot about the coach and his program. There is a reason why they do that. Your player should be allowed an opportunity to think about it in a reasonable time frame. My son had a program that did that, no way was he committing under pressure. There was more than enough programs showing interest.  

I may have repeated somethings said earlier by GOOSEGG.  His son and mine took different paths. His attended an IL program, mine attended one from a power 5 conference. 

Guess what, both had an opportunity to graduate with degrees AND play professional ball. 

So when he says if you have professional  talento, it doesn't matter where you go, he brings up a very good point.