Skip to main content

Reply to "If height and weight don't matter, then why?"

quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
FOR THE RECORD THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PG, THIS IS BASEBALL IN GENERAL

Baseballdad1228 with all due respect, if your son is 6' plus legit it does not matter. If my kid was 6'2" I would be thrilled and height would never enter my mind again, check that one off, yep he's got height! If my kid runs a 6.8 I don't worry about speed, yep hes's fast, check that one off!

But, if your kid is a pitcher and 5'10" and he's 16, I bet you are hoping he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet!

Floridafan, I agree here. I think 6' is the magic number. I think the issue is, if a scout is looking through profiles (PG or otherwise), unless the rating is a 10, anyone under 6' will be overlooked by most. Not projectable. It's not really an issue for me whether the scouting agency verifies height and weight, so maybe I shouldn't be posting on this topic, but my issue is with the general view in the baseball world that taller is better. I don't think anyone can deny this outlook. Sure, shorter players can always make it. They just have to outshine everyone else. Why is it that way? Why would a 5'10" pitcher throwing 88 be less projectable than a 16 yr. old 6'3" pitcher throwing 88?

If this wasn't the case, it wouldn't matter whether someone was fudging the numbers. People fudge the numbers because they believe it will give them an advantage. They think that because they hear all the time that the taller kids are more "projectable". My general question is why does it matter how tall they are. There are shorter pitchers in MLB. They just have to be all that much better. Is there any evidence that shows that they are less durable? Or is it just an assumption?