Skip to main content

If height and weight don't matter, then why?

I did not want to take another discussion further off topic, but I must respectfully disagree with several of the statements.

"It really was fairly unimportant." - That not even close to being true... If it was, why list it at all. Sure if you are a top 1% talent, but what about all those other kids looking for exposure. It may not be important to Price Fielder or Zack Grenkie, but it sure mattered to Brett Gardner. He was lightning fast and College of Charleston would not have even given him a shot if not for a transfer.

"If you're small, yet something special, it doesn't matter" - What if you 5'10 and honest and another kid is 5'10.5" and list 6'. You don't think that matters when a college coach is making a short list? I had a well respected college coach tell me they like to recruit the kids out of there camp, but they compile a list from showcases profiles(not just PG).

"but an inch or two or a few pounds are not critical factors in evaluation" - Maybe not the evaluation number, but it does to the coaches that look at the profile. I know PG is well respected and should be, but there rating isn't the "be all, end all" to college coaches. At least for some, it is a starting point. 6' instead of 5'10" does matter.

"Who's it hurting? No one" - It hurts the honest kids. That is like saying PED don't hurt the kids who don't take them. It's not a level playing/recruiting field.

I really like Perfect Game and PGstaff for all he add to this site, but please verify H/W. I'm sure you can get someone to stand there during registration and verify H/W. Give a parent a hat and t-shirt if you don't want to pay someone for the regristration time. Kids alway trickle in to any camp or showcase please don't pretend this is difficult. I been to many wrestling tournaments where 100 plus kids get weighed in as they register, it's not that hard...
Original Post