Skip to main content

Reply to "If height and weight don't matter, then why?"

Thanks for the responses glad I conjured this one back from the dead.  Just to go back to my original questions, remember this is a 5"5" kid (who a love like a son by the way) saying he's 5"9" but looking at his numbers and saying telling himself he can play anywhere so it doesn't matter so just fudge your height. Isn't that going to get him into trouble?  That's the real issue I was asking about not whether 5"10 guys can legitimately make the major leagues. 

I’ll make it simple. What baseball people are telling him he’s a D1 prospect? There are more potential D1 prospects than there are D1 slots. With the exception of a handful of physical late bloomers D1 prospects are recruited by 17u travel teams and told by their coaching staff they’re D1 prospects. Is this the case?

Don’t try to put a square peg in a round hole. For every player who makes D1 as a long shot here are a lot of players who get left out when the music stops playing. They get caught without a chair fishing in the wrong pond.

If a kid isn’t a pro prospect find the right place to have a quality baseball experience regardless of level and get an good education. For most players college baseball is about the beginning of a forty year plan, not a pro career.

Last edited by RJM