Skip to main content

Reply to "If height and weight don't matter, then why?"

This is an old thread but I have a similar question related to height and thought I'd post it here. My nephew is a very good player and is only about 5'5" 145 as a 2022 who red shirted due to his size (didn't help much).  He's very talented and has top 10% metrics metrics as an OF.   MLB aside are do D1 colleges looking a kid that's only 5'5" 150 as a 17 year old or should he be more focused on D2 or D3?  He is currently tweeting at and sending video "power 5 conferences" and has gotten some responses but in his profile lists himself as 5'9 155.  I think 4 inches is a bit disingenuous and he should think about being more realistic but my brother in law thinks that everyone exaggerates so it doesn't matter what you put in the profile.   Thoughts from anyone with experience appreciated. I get that size shouldn't matter but reading above it probably does and a 5 inch fib seems like it could tick off some College Coaches/RCs.  

Rounding up one inch is "ok", adding 4 inches in certainly not and will get noticed and have a negative effect.

And of course being that short and small is a disadvantage, he needs to have tools to make up for that, especially speed and hittability. Also work on your strength to have at least adequate power for his height but don't get too heavy because nobody wants to have the bad body 5'6 200 guy. But at 145 he should at least add 10-15 pounds even at that height.

But first of all he needs to hit a lot, because nobody wants to have a 5'6 guy  who strikes out and he also must be fast and athletic enough to play up  the middle.