Skip to main content

Reply to "If my son doesn't get an offer.... then what?"

Oh my gosh!! thank you all so much for your advices!! didn't expect this much replies..

I guess being a mom who did not grow up here and did not know anything about baseball until my son started playing tee ball in kindergarten AND has a husband that is really only focused on his golf swings was getting really worried.. I knew coaches weren't going to call us right after the summer camps but at least I thought (ignorant baseball mom) he would at least get an email saying a college is interested in him and would like to see him more.. 

A little more about my son... he is 5'9" very well built frame. in middle school he was a fabulous pitcher and SS and 2nd base.. this all changed when he entered high school...his high school is a D1 school and goes to the CIF championships..  I don't like blaming other people but his freshman coach really didn't encourage the players or focused on building their skills. He really likes pitching so we agreed to let go of SS so he doesn't blow out his arm ( which we did in middle school throwing too much... another mistake this ignorant mom made) ..my son said he was so nervous at practices and games..when he missed a ball playing at 2nd or even 3rd  the coach did really didn't care for my son..(not that he needs to be taken care of like a toddler.. there wasn't any sort of encouragement ) and then SO he let go of all of the infield positions and went to OF..problem is...  he isn't a fast runner but he isn't a lazy runner... he will do every effort to catch a ball when it comes towards him runs as fast as he can.. he does catch most of them..  his 60 yard is 7.3     He does work outs to get faster and trains with a trainer. 

Pitching....he pitched 78 mph in his freshman year.. in his sophomore year he was injured so he didn't pitch.. which really affected his confidence level..at the camps he pitched 78-81... another frustration!! If he didn't get injured he could have gotten faster I assume! So I think my son would have a chance in a low D2 or D3 school?  assuming his pitching will get better this year. we live in the west coast so he wants to stay on this part of the state

Yes in this high school baseball journey he has learned so much.. his travel ball team or high school team doesn't have any volunteering opportunities like JOES87 mentioned.. that is fabulous that your son was able to do all that! 

I did not know you can look up the number of kids that committed. thank you all for that info!! 

And yes we are looking to attend the AZ fall classics! 

It gives me so much comfort reading all your replies that are going through this or have been in the same boat.  Thank you Thank you!!