Skip to main content

Reply to "If my son doesn't get an offer.... then what?"

cabbagedad posted:
cottoncandy posted:

My son is entering his junior year of high school this year... He has a 4.5 w gpa as of now.. really hope he can maintain this through out this junior year!

In case he doesn't get an offer we will go to plan B which is applying to colleges the regular route.. then he has to compete with kids that have been doing hundreds of hours of volunteering, instrument, awards, clubs etc.... But my son will only have baseball to list as his EC... what do other kids do when they don't get an offer? ...

Having read both of your posts, I think some basic info and some realities may be helpful to balance the words of encouragement you already have received. 

College baseball is a sport where, typically, only the cream of the crop are awarded significant athletic scholarship $.  The average baseball scholy is 25% if any.  D3, which accounts for many of the HA schools, doesn't offer any athletic $.  For most, any financial aid is more likely to come from academics or needs based.  It is a mistake to look at baseball as a "plan A" to get college paid for.  Your description of your son matches up with thousands of decent HS players looking for a spot on a college roster.  Remember, only about one in ten or so go from HS baseball to college baseball.  So, if you are one of the best one or two on the HS baseball team, you may find yourself just average among the pool of college players.  Your son's measurables don't stand out... don't expect him to be the player that will be offered athletic $.  You mentioned you are on the West Coast.  An additional challenge is that there is a particular abundance, a surplus, of good HS baseball players that come out of California.  This makes it all the more difficult to earn a spot on a college roster if he wants to stay close to home.  Supply and demand.

Also, college baseball is in many ways like a job and requires a tremendous amount of time commitment.  A player has to really love the game and be willing to sacrifice significantly in regards to other areas of college life.  Looking at it primarily as a way to pay for school is usually an indication he doesn't love it enough to cut it.  (I may be misinterpreting your "plan B" remark above?).

There are many other things to consider as well.  What are his career aspirations?  Some majors don't work with baseball.  I say this all not to discourage but to introduce some realities in order to help guide you with direction and expectations.

I am in Calif and familiar with most of the college options in the state.  Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Great post Cabbage!  I considered writing a similar note on my drive home and was about to, as it's important to be honest and for all parents to set the right expectations!