Skip to main content

Reply to "If you are a team you dress as a team"

Shoveit's belt story reminded me...

Fall before last, my wife and I traveled for the final game of son's college's fall series (also banquet weekend, I think).  Of course, this pits teammates against each other in a very competitive environment.  There is meaningful reward for the winners and consequences for the losers. 

Immediately post-game, we were surprised to see son handsomely rewarded for MVP of the series - new trainers, a signed bat from a high profile guest and some other stuff.  Did others not try as hard as he did?  That was very apparently not the case.  Did others feel cheated?  Sure didn't look like it.  Were parents of the losing team butt hurt?  Hardly.  Oh, and BTW, the split teams wear different uni's.  Which team gets to wear the favorite set?  No idea and none of them seemed to care.  But they sure were motivated to compete.  LOTS of intentional divide among the team with this structure.  Well, what do ya know, after some post-series rubbing, it really seemed to bring them all together. 

We got to experience that.  These guys were all VERY motivated by the structure of being pitted against each other in competition and by the carrot of reward and consequence.  And, guess what.  Almost every college program in the country holds some version of this same event every year.

Oh, and no one seemed to mind when he wore his new trainers, that were just a little different than everyone else's.

Last edited by cabbagedad