Skip to main content

Reply to "Ignored by the H.S. Coach--Strategies for Fall Ball"

Brenlee posted:

Thanks for the supportive replies! We have looked for other teams for playing time but I haven't found any rec teams around here for him in the fall. I'm really clueless about the travel ball world. What's involved with finding a team? I think the apple doesn't fall far from the tree with regard to being shy and quiet--I have a difficult time networking with other parents on the team and my husband has some hurt pride on behalf of our son and really doesn't want to ask (we assume everyone is thinking, why doesn't he quit already?). I have looked online but don't see much for 16u, and he might even be 17u as his birthday was in January. We're neighbors and friends with the parents of the coach's favorite player, who's on a travel team, but we never talk about our son and baseball. It's a little awkward, frankly. Their son plays every inning of every game (soph/frosh, JV, and varsity) because he's a talented freshman, or sophomore this coming year, and our son plays not at all. We run the risk of further humiliation for our son.

You're right, he may not (probably won't) make the team next year but if so, he will definitely enjoy playing on a rec team with a more advanced skill set. It's really been a great growth experience for him and taught him a lot about being dedicated and working toward a goal.

So are there any avenues for finding another team that I don't know about (google hasn't been helpful)?

First, there is nothing to be humiliated about.  Everyone has things they are good at and things they aren't.  Sometimes, we decide to make something we aren't good at something we're better at.  That's not humiliation, that's great!

Finding fall play opportunities can be a challenge and is different for each area.  So, networking with local players, coaches and instructors is best.  Did he ask his P and hitting coaches?  Teammates?  Also, my suggestion was to try to find places to play prior to the HS Fall program, not instead of it.  I agree with RJM about playing where the HS coach gets feedback.  I don't know the timing of that nor if there is enough time between to find other options as well.

Last edited by cabbagedad