Skip to main content

Reply to "IHSA ... What!!!!!!!!!!"

Many great points...
I agree with your statements Beenthere...there is a lot of politics to playing HS sports. I personally quit basketball and football for those reasons and that was almost 15 years ago.
Ballfan, what are some of things that HS coaches do to help their players through the recruiting process, getting them exposure, preparing them for the next level? You said you spend hours helping them. Maybe share with everyone a positive story you were involved with personally. We need more of that on this board!
I agree with Rawlings and probably know 3/4 of the guys he is talking (probably helped them in one way or another)about when he said he knew 11 players that got nothing from their HS coach on helping them play at the next level. Some of these coaches have no idea what kind of player they have.

There is a big misconception and I still believe that a majority of HS coaches aren't interested in helping these players go anywhere except playing for them. And if the players try and fight back, well I'm sure the parents on this board can come up with many stories...politics run wild.
How many HS coaches are participating in travel teams, exposure camps w/ area indoor facilities or national organizations...during the summer months? How many HS coaches are making calls for the player to college coaches and promoting them...and not their one or two college coaching friends?
Another point and misconception I'm sure Beenthere will agree...he's mentioned it several times in many threads...I'll say it from this perspective though...a scout at a HS game is there for one reason and one reason only...to look for the PRO PROSPECT...not a player looking to go play college baseball. Most scouts will tell you which way they think...they aren't all interested in promoting a player to colleges but only what round a player can play...And think about it how many players were drafted last year out of Chicago land area? How many scouts called your house and said I just talked to so and so college for you?
The IHSA baseball is here to prepare kids for life...that's is great!!!
Most of these baseball players just want to play in college and possibly get a chance in the pros.
I am for the HS coaches helping, but do it or get someone else and don't complain when the players choose travel ball competition over summer HS.