Skip to main content

Reply to "IMG Academy, worth costs?"

I'll take a stab at it...

Does sending your kid there "make" your kid a blue chipper?  Probably not?  Just like sending your kid to the most prestigious prep school doesn't guarantee they can break 1,000 on the SAT's.

I was just there a few weeks ago.  We filmed all of their HS & Post Grad guys (http://www.playinschool.com/img).

Here is what I saw...

- Incredible coaching staff... all former college coaches & pro players.

- Incredible facilities... resembles a minor league facility.

- Incredible support staff... strength & conditioning, trainer, academic counseling, recruiting support, etc.

- Incredible access to all bells & whistles... Under Armour, Gator Aid, Play In School (see how I just lumped us in w/ the big boys!)

- Incredible weather... Sarasota, FL!

They are on the field every day.  Post grads workout in the A.M. and do school in the PM.  HS guys are the opposite.  School is year round.  I suppose this is done to ensure proper instructional hours over 12 months and allow for heavy dose of athletics.

No matter how good or bad you are you cannot help but get better in this environment.  

Does every kid that attends commit to the SEC?  No.  But I doubt that is the goal of every kid/family. 

Talent wise, I was pleasantly surprised.  At whatever the price is ($50,000 to $70,000), I didn't really know what to expect.  The truth is that they have some blue chippers, a lot of really good players, and a few that are improving daily.

This is an ultra exclusive place as you could imagine from the price tag.  I think it falls into the category of "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it".

But if you can afford it, what a tremendous experience.  It is essentially a boarding school with baseball everyday.  So you get all of the positives of a boarding school plus the added benefit of playing baseball every day of the year.  

So, to answer your initial question, would their guys headed to South Carolina, Virginia, etc ended up there without IMG?  Possibly, probably.  Would they have made the jump to being in the discussion as Top 5 round draft picks?  Who knows.  I'm guessing having the above mentions assets help.

Feel free to buzz me if you have any more specific questions.

You can see some of their fields here... www.PlayInSchool.com/IMG

Rich

PlayInSchool.com