Skip to main content

Reply to "IMG Summer Camp for 10 year old?"

Cabbage Dad -

I  am not a Dad that thinks his son will play pro ball someday. Heck even college ball is a long shot for any kid.  It was my son that was disappointed with the Nike camp not me. I never set foot on the camp. My son is a very serious player and the level of talent we play against, especially against the Korean and Japanese teams out here ( who practice 8 hours a week ) is tough. Not that I am advocating any more practice time than we do now - as we already play August til March and then tournaments  in April and May. However, competitive kids even young kids want to be the best. We just came back from a  Shanghai Tournament and there was a 6'0 twelve year old from Hubei throwing a legit 85. My son immediately wanted to know what it was going to take to get velocity like that - and he wasn't amused when I told him to grow 16 inches.   My son has incredible drive and its not something I push. Every Coach he has in every sport he plays say he's  one the most competitive kids that they have seen - not the best mind you but he wants to be.

In terms of the Coaches out here - the two D1 Coaches are Coaches on other teams - so we only get them for Tournament  ball - which is occasionally and we see the Dad who pitched in the minors once every six weeks  as he Coaches mostly on the mainland.

All that being said I just wanted to ensure I am sending him to a camp with good coaches, that he's not standing around a lot doing nothing and also that they don't overdo it either.  So balance .  And also its a camp that my son feels like he's getting something out of it.

From the others who have commented ( Branson baseball, and Old School )  it seems as if IMG ticks the boxes we are after.