Skip to main content

Reply to "Impact of new eligibility rules on 2020's and 2021's"

Eokerholm posted:

They definitely exist. Not many but they do. Jupiter and Ft Meyers WWBA championships were littered with them. I can name 6. East Cobb Astros is stacked across multiple age teams as do a lot of the other national programs, Canes, Academy Select, Arsenal, Team Elite, etc. 

I think you missed my point.

If you recruit a kid that throws 88 and he isn’t throwing 92+ with better command after 2-3 years you didn’t recruit and didn’t coach well. He came to you throwing 88. With better coaching and mechanics, nutrition and strength and pitching coach you should expect and see improvement. 

Agree with the part about high school command. 

Disagree with the part about a velo jump equating to success. If you were recruited as an 88 guy and remain 88 for the rest of your college career but get outs that's not a bad job recruiting or coaching. Not every player needs to develop into a draft prospect for them to be successful. If everybody threw 92+ with command nobody would be able to hit the ball. Velo ≠ getting better, it just means throwing harder. 

Our Friday guy was 92 in high school. He is often 88 and a few times a game will bust one off at 92/93. He will be 88 the first pitch of the game and 88 his last pitch of the game in the 8th. He has great command and is still expected to be drafted in the 4th/5th this year. Just because a staff doesn't improve velo does not mean they didn't recruit or coach well.