Reply to "Importance of an experienced Agent"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chill:
VooDoo

"Two teams with limited payroll.
The Marlins went out and got who you mentioned and now they are without:
Pudge
Lee
Redman"

Agreed. However there was that whole World Series thing.

"Delgado is 31 and has trouble with his knees
<darn astroturf>
If he can perform at his current production rate throughout a new contract term - great."

Based on his recent production & most important, his character & work ethic, I see no reason to expect a precipitous decline in performance.

"How long do you extend him?"

3-5 years IMO.

"Are the Jays trying to get away from spending a huge % of total payroll on a few players?"

Honestly, I think they're just trying to field the cheapest 3rd place team they can until their prospects develop... IF they develop.

"He has a no-trade clause...Does that mean he would be wiling to take a hit to stay?"

I doubt it. Why should he? He's produced at the top level of MLB, shouldn't he deserve to be paid the same way?

"Do you pay him top dollar to DH?"

Don't agree that he'll just DH. He'll continue to be adequate @ 1B. Would you rather have JT Snow's defense & his 51 RBI's?

"Are the suggestions of Hinske being introduced to 1st troubling for Delgado?"

Can't compare the two players. Hinske has only had 1 good year. J's are better off with Delgado & dumping Hinske if they're too cheap to increase the budget.

"Since the Jays evaluate players based on the 27 yr age being a measuring tool...how does that help/hurt him?"

Rules are made to be broken. If 27 was the end, how do you account for Bonds? Clemens? etc.