Skip to main content

Reply to "Importance of an experienced Agent"

quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
Voodoochile
While we are asking, could you comment on the most publicized trade that never happened? Is the Manny for Arod trade dead and buried, or merely in a deep sleep? It appeared that Gene Orza/Tom Hicks/Larry L. killed the deal. I can't tell who is mostly responsible. Inquiring Red Sox fans wanna know.

Strictly my 2 centavos:
1)Think Manny & ARod got the contracts they & their Agents asked for... nobody forced them to sign so they should shut up & honor their deals. If the "shoe was on the other foot" & the team had tried to change the terms & conditions, they would have howled like a scalded dog.

2) Think/hope the deal is dead as it is a distraction to all players on both teams. Eventually, they have to play Baseball so the less said the better.

3)The MLBPA opposed the deal out of concern that it would result in NFL type deals where players are signed to deals & then coerced into lowering their salaries so they don't get cut. Granted MLB deals are guaranteed but the MLB according to what their reps told me considers this a "slippery slope" situation.