Skip to main content

Reply to "In-Home Scout Visit"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

JOEMKT - While you are at it, can you expand upon your UVA/JUCO example?  I'm guessing you want the clubs thinking that they will have to pry you away from your commitment with just enough dollars.  A high school player's default position should be "go play college ball" until they are presented on offer that is viewed as more valuable than the college route.  Not looking for any discussion of dollars, but any real life arguments about the relative merits of pro versus college ball that the clubs most often throw out to the family.

The scouts, almost to a person, will say that it's not their job to convince a player to go pro. And that's how it should be, as that's not their job.

The area scouts' responsibility is to gather as much information as possible, and THAT'S WHERE THE PLAYER AND THE FAMILY CAN EXERT CONTROL. Not deceive, but to use all the available information to leverage so as to support a position.

Area scouts know that UVA asks their recruits to sign a pledge that they will attend UVA and not opt for the draft. For a high caliber ballplayer, that's a tough situation for all parties. But it's leverage that can be used to better position the player. PDOOMA* alert: player can use this to say that "I am committed to UVA, and I've signed a pledge to that end, so I'm strongly leaning in that direction." Note the "strongly leaning in that direction": the door is slightly ajar.

*PDOOMA: pulled directly out of my ass