Skip to main content

Reply to "Incoming 2014 D1 freshman and summer league"

I wanted to bump this thread because I wonder if there are other 2016 parents who are running into the same question with their boys possible getting placed in Summer Collegiate baseball the summer after graduation.

We attended games in a regional league for young D1 and JC players, and some topflight D3 kids. Son told me watched watched for tempo, speed of the game, batting and pitching approaches. He gave it some thought and believes he is up to the competitive challenge based on the level of play he saw.

He spoke to RC at the school he has verballed who agrees with him, but wanted to hear son make an argument in favor of jumping in with both feet. The conversation stayed between the two of them, but it must have gone in son's favor because they are on to next steps.

From where I sit, I just needed to see the spectrum of physicality in the league. Son is competitive as all get-out. And he is physical as heck. But he is 5'9" 175, and I believe the real question is wear and tear from such an intense schedule.

Also interesting, mainly because I respect each of the posters here who said to avoid the challenge for now: every player my son has talked to (college and pro) has enthusiastically encouraged him to seek a summer league placement after he graduates from high school. 

At any rate, just a bump if anyone wants to talk about this stuff some more.