Skip to main content

Reply to "Incredible Pitch Count"

quote:
I know his arm has got to be hurt!!

Do you mean you think it is a near certainty that the pitcher's arm is injured by throwing 167 pitches?

Such a high pitch count is unusual these days (and I would go out on the field to stop my son from throwing that many), but the fact is that for most of the history of baseball, that would have been a typical pitch count if the pitcher was still effective. And there isn't much to suggest that arm injuries were more prevalent then.

It is a strange contradiction: most of us believe that 167 pitches is (or is more likely to be) harmful, and we track pitch counts to avoid high ones, yet most people believe that arm/shoulder injuries are more common today than in the past, when high pitch counts were typical. And pitchers had three days of rest instead of four.

There's a lot about pitch counts and arm health that we just don't understand. Generally people try to play it safe by limiting the number of pitches, and I subscribe to that. But the basis for believing that the number of pitches is related to arm health is pretty much unfounded.

Anyway, maybe 167 pitchers hurt his arm, or maybe not at all.