Skip to main content

Reply to "Incredible Pitching Performance"

P&CMom,

I've read every word you have written... very impressive! No doubt you have a lot of experience in dealing with injuries. You are very wise and your concern for others is quite obvious!

I agree with nearly everything you have said, except I'm not sure about one thing.

For the most part pitching injuries and resulting surgery affect mostly baseball. I know many guys walking around with zippers, including my son, that can do nearly anything they want. The one thing that is most troublesome for them is throwing a baseball as well as they used to.

I'm not downplaying arm, shoulder or elbow injuries caused from throwing. However, IMO, knee and back or head injuries are more likely to affect quality of life (long term) than throwing injuries. Of course, no injury is a good injury.

I understand that labrum surgery rehab is especially tough without quite the success rate of TJ surgery. I'm sure you would know much more than I do when it comes to that.

It always amazes me how far the field of sports medicine has advanced over the last 50 years. Especially when it comes to the cost.