Skip to main content

Reply to "Infield Fly Rule"

Rob T,

The infield fly rule isn't a reward or a punishment. It's an insurance policy the offensive team is required to buy every time it hits a pop fly that presents an opportunity for a double play they couldn't protect themselves against. As with most insurance policies, claims seldom get filed, but the premiums still must be paid, and there are no refunds after the policy expires.  

Unlike most insurance policies, however, coaches are usually unaware they're paying the premium because the ball usually gets caught. When it doesn't get caught, coaches often want their premiums refunded.  Umpires can't get wrapped up in second guessing the call and can't fall into the trap of believing the ball landing untouched is a prima facia case that the IFF shouldn't have been called.

Another problem with letting a desire to "protect the offense" affect your call is that the umpire never knows in advance who will be advantaged by the call or the non-call and never knows what the defense will do with the ball after it lands. Will they pick it up promptly and throw it to lead bases, or will they kick it around? 

I had a play this year in a high school varsity game with bases loaded, one out, late in a close game. Corners were way in; middle infielders were deep. 

Batter hit a pop fly on a trajectory that would have it land slightly behind and slightly to the second base side of the first baseman's normal position. 

The large, immobile, low energy first baseman took a couple half-hearted steps back and decided to let the second baseman take it. The second baseman realized late that the first baseman wouldn't make the effort and belatedly ran over to attempt to make the play. Despite his late start, he still got there in time get a glove on it but did not make the catch. Had he started earlier, ordinary effort would have permitted him to be there in plenty of time, and had the first baseman made the effort, he also could have been there. On a well coached team, two players would have been moving on contact and calling for that ball. 

I called IFF because either of two infielders could have made the play with ordinary effort, it wasn't apparent until the ball landed that it wouldn't get caught, and the runners needed to be protected against what might have happened if the ball dropped.  Once satisfied ordinary effort would be sufficient, I couldn't concern myself with whether the defense would intelligently put forth or coordinate that effort. 

As it happened, after not catching the ball, the second baseman accidentally kicked it with his next step and sent it into foul territory beyond the coach's box. Two runs scored, and R1 advanced to second base.

The offensive team's coach came out to discuss the call because he thought the same way you did. He thought he was being  punished. In fact, he was trying to get a refund on the premium for the insurance policy he turned out not to have needed--but could have been very grateful to have had if the second baseman had picked up the ball cleanly on the first hop and thrown home.

Last edited by Swampboy