Skip to main content

Reply to "Info for Canadian players re:college, post-college, financial etc."

I'll see if I can change the forum title. I just picked this title cause I thought it was kind of funny.

I believe Brantford or maybe it was Kitchener who has a 40 year old player/head coach. He must be well invovled with the team then.
I'm only aware of the 3 ex-majors on the Toronto team, the Butler bros. and Spoljaric. Who else do you know of?
I talked to my old college coach a while back and he says he knows the head coach at Brock University and says they have a really good program, so he told me to keep in touch so he can help me get into the Brock program. I was actually thinking of going to a Brock game this weekedn and confront the coach and pick his brain for league info etc., and ask hiom if he could help me get on the Hamilton team, since most coaches in the area keep in touch with each other. Hopefully he has some connections.
It would be exciting to play against you if you can get on the London team. Hope your arm holds up.
As for practice/works out, this is the problem I've run in to since I started training hard. I always slack off or get sidetracked. But this winter I promised myself to stick with it.
I set up a gym in my garage. I got a bench press bench with the leg curls/extensions and butterfly attachments and a barbell and 2 bumbell bars along with free weights. I went out and got some ankle weights, resistance tubes and not quite medicine balls, but these 3 and 5 pound 'bean' balls which work just the same.
For books I have Complete Conditioning for Baseball, a sports nutrition book, a weight lifting book that teaches proper techniques, a book on sports speed, agility, plyometrics etc.and I just bought a few books and bookmarked some sites that teach baseball drills and fundamentals. Im trying to read up on specific things like how to lead off, and try all the techniques and see which one feels/works best for me. I also just bought a tee, and I'm working on building a stand for this punching bag I made, so I can take swings into the bag, it's hard to explain what that's about but it's on http://www.batspeed.com, I got the video they sell there, and it's been alomst magical the new technique I'm trying to master.
A lot of times I'll just run outside greab my bat, and just practice my batting stance, or gfab a ball and pretend throw while focusing on my technique and other creative little things like that. I don't have much space or resources, plus it's hard to play outdoors in the slow so I'm trying to make do wtih what I got. I wish snow was more slippery so I could practice sliding in it, hehe.
I sjut wish I had someone to long toss with. I have only one friend who's willing to play catch but he can't throw half as far as me as he doesn't play baseball.
I also have the weight room at my college to use.
I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to pick up a baseabll. My suggestion is to grab a bat and become a DH, hehe.
Last edited by Mr3000