Skip to main content

Reply to "Info for Canadian players re:college, post-college, financial etc."

Deborah,

First of all best wishes to your son and his baseball career. I have one question though, how can 5 schools send your son letters if he doesnt graduate until 07, Schools are only allowed to send you info or talk to you after July 1st of your junior year, in your case July 1st 2006 (you can call them but they can not start recruiting you until that date), or are the NAIA and JUCO schools?

Personally for me if I was to write the SAT now I'd hate to do it because I'm the type of guy who prefers to just sit there answer the questions and have the test over with plus I hate writing essays cause I write so darn small that people never think I've written enough. It really comes down to how well he performs under the pressure of exams.

Your son might benefit from the SAT though because now all students must take a course (kind of how they prepped us Ontario Students before taking the EQAO Math test and the Literacy tests, speaking of those if your son did well on those 2 tests he has absolutley nothing to worry about when he writes his SAT or his ACT, those test are very very similiar in regards to our gr 9 and 10 testing.) before they write the SAT, so that just might help your son out.

Although I've heard from my college buddies that they found the ACT to be much easier for them to take then the SAT, also the ACT is becomming more and more popular, BUT keep in mind that some schools still do require you to write your SAT over your ACT, with that in mind the SAT is the safest way to go but sometimes not necessarily needed. If he does decide to take the SAT I have a great book that I'll give you the author and title for and you can get it at Chapters, it's great.

Also since your son is an 07 he's got one more year to get those marks up like even into the 70s and he'll be fine, even if he takes the college level courses those should be good enough for him to get into any school down in the states. Does your son truly try in school or does he kinda of blow his school work off, because if he kind of blows his school work off I have a great story to tell him that our asst. Coach told me last year that really hit home in relation to marks, scholarships and being redshirted.

One thing for you and your son to keep in mind is when you look at schools approach it the same way as if he was going to attend a regular University/College up here in Ontario, remember Education first Baseball second, once he's narrowed down his choices to schools he'd prefer to go to because of his program then I'd start getting more and more involved in the baseball aspect, like I'd love to go to Virginia Tech and play with my good buddy from Miami but the classes offered tehre wouldn't do me any good. Remember and make sure he remembers Baseball will not always be there, like if he gets an injury like myself outta nowhere and has expected Baseball to be his life he could be sitting wondering what to do with his life, and injuries can come out of no where, like I've done everything humanly possible to prevent an arm injury and currently I've got a rotator cuff problem, hopefully only a minor injury that'll be fixed soon enough.

One of the hardest things to do is reading the Coaches that are recruiting him and making sure he can tell if they are putting on a smoke show so that not only the school and program seem's great but that the coach himself looks good as well, our Head Coach told me that when he signed with St.Leo he thought he was going to be gravy until he got there the first day and realised the H-ell he was going to be put through, he went back to his hotel room and was like what did I get myself into, he spent a semester at a school he thought was going to be great for him but when he got there he hated it and wasted a semester. Try and go on as many visits as possible to the schools that are recruiting your son, which I know can be hard for a family that is financially strapped, or ask the Coach for some players (Captain, a Senior player and a Freshman) phone numbers so that he can talk to the players and get a real true sense of what the school and coach and program is like. That's what was great at Urbana I lived with 5 future teammates at the time for 3 days that's the best way to get a feel is to actually be put in those types of situations.

A great asset that your son has that many kids don't is his Coaching staff, pick their brains about things as well, they should be well knowledged in this area since afterall your sons on Team Ontario, I'm sure that they can also give you and son advice.

I hope that this has helped you. If you have any questions feel free to post on here as soon as you get them, I check the HSBBW regularly 3 or 4 times a day, so I'll be sure to reply as soon as I see it.