Skip to main content

Reply to "Initiating Contact"

Zia2021 posted:

When it comes to deciding when to initiate contact at a school, does it make any difference if we know he's already on that HC's watch list? In other words, should we wait if we know a coach might be interested already? 

Not sure I would take the "initiate contact" route myself. When the time is right put him in front of the coaches at the schools of interest. Either by attending camps or showcases/tournaments where they will be. If they are interested they'll get a hold of you. Yeah you can send videos etc but why? Like I said if they are really interested they'll contact you. If they're not "really interested" I'd move on. Not sure I'd send my player somewhere I'd had to sell him to.

Having done this I'd advise you to be ready for some disappointment and stress if you are going to pick schools ahead of time unless the kid is a absolute stud. Some coaches have a certain kind of player they look for and no matter how good they are short of the "stud"  thing if you don't fit that mold they just won't be interested.

My kid was a pretty good player. Received a lot of interest. Had seven different offers when he committed. The school he ended up at didn't come into the process until late. Didn't think they had a chance. As of now he couldn't be happier. 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad