Skip to main content

Reply to "injured shoulder...destroyed my chance?"

quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
shp

From your posts you sound like a rather intelligent young man---this being the case why did you do this to yourself---you did not play HS ball last spring correct? Could this inactivity been a contributing factor in the arm situation?

Why are posts like this tolerated? This is beyond any limits of how a high school player seeking advice should be treated. This is wrong!
SHP,
The causes of SLAP lesions are not completely known.
One clear cut cause is a direct fall onto the shoulder where there is a subluxation, separation and/or disclocation of the shoulder. The thought is the lesion/tear occurs then and gets aggravated by overhead, over the shoulder activities like throwing a baseball.
No one knows why they become symptomatic when they do but please be assured you do NOT need to answer TRhit on this. He is ill informed and isn't in any position to judge.
He is an adult who should know better and had no right to suggest you did this to yourself or what any contributing cause might be. It is likely even your doctor won't know.
With that said, you should optimize every chance of a good result from surgery, if that should be the best option.
Get involved in PT, on a presciption from your doctor. Try and use a therapist who does shoulders with baseball players.
Heading into the surgery, whether you need it or not, you want the best range of motion you can have combined with the best level of strength.
If you have the surgery at this point, and have a good rehab/PT/throwing rehab, you should be ready in about 6 months. That will give you your senior year to play/showcase and communicate with coaches.
To find out more, you can Google "SLAP" lesions or tears and see the options for care and the results.
Best advice is to take care of that shoulder and get well and ready to play.
When you can play, the baseball and college can then become your focus.
Please let me know if I can answer any questions along the way and please do not let TR intimidate or embarrass you as he did here. He is in the wrong and owes you an apology.
Last edited by infielddad