Skip to main content

Reply to "injured shoulder...destroyed my chance?"

shp,
Based on plenty of experience over the past few years, it sounds to me like a second opinion might be of great value, for a number of reasons.
It is true the shoulder is very difficult for diagnosis and treatment. However, an MRI with contrast should be extremely helpful, especially when coordinated with the clinical findings and the type/location of the pain your are having.
Having an "idea" but needing to operate to really find out may be often used but doctors, but based on what I know now, to me it triggers the recommendation to get a second opinion from a sports orthopedist who treats baseball players.
Also, I would not just accept what this doctor has to say on recovery. As FrankF says, there is much more variability than it seems you are being told.
Be your own patient advocate and get the best opinions you can. There are some recent medical publications on the difficulties in recovering from labrum surgeries which you might want to read. Before you go there, it sure would be better to have a second opinion to determine if there is agreement, or not.
Best of luck to you and I certainly hope for the best.