Skip to main content

Reply to "injured shoulder...destroyed my chance?"

quote:
Every college player that I talked to who did not come back close to 100% all said thay did not perform the rehab properly.

That is a sad message to hear and, in my view, not necessarily a "fair" way for less than optimal results to be allocated.
Part of the rehab and it's success needs to involve a very clear understanding of the findings in surgery and the extent of a repair. If there is not 100% accurate communication from the surgeon and 100% understanding by the trainer/PT, the process can be impaired.
If the player has labrum and rotator cuff damage/repair, prescribing and following the rehab for labrum only can be started to soon and be far too aggressive and lead to set backs along the way.
If the doctor and PT are not very conscientious in listening to the player and documenting the clinical course, that can also be an issue.
If the player is too stoic and tends to minimize post surgery related rehab symptoms(very likely with highly competitive athletes) that also isn't going to help the process.
We should be clear that some players do every aspect of the post surgery rehab exactly correctly and either do not recover, or have more complications.
I am aware of a player who followed the rehab protocol perfectly and diligently.
When he not only did not improve but, finally, was able to convince the doctor and PT he felt worse, a repeat MRI showed the process during the rehab either caused another Labral tear, or it had not be repaired in the surgery.