Skip to main content

Reply to "Injury"

Yeah it was a weird situation.  My PC went out to talk to him after he loaded the bases on I think 6 pitches.  Then after a run scores I go out and walk towards the plate ump to tell him we are making a switch due to injury.  He acknowledges it.  I walk out to the mound to get the ball and hand to the new guy.  I go back to plate ump to tell him changes in lineup and for some reason ask for my guy to get as many as he needed.  That's when the discussion took place.  It really amazed me.

Totally understand about the rule not allowing a hurt starter coming back on the mound and that the exact wording leaves it up to the umpire.  I honestly have no complaints with that but to not know you may allow extra warm up pitches due to injury in a 2nd round playoff game is not good.  It didn't affect the game but it could have or an injury to my new pitcher.

Sadly, our AT doesn't travel to games with us.  They are only required to travel to football games.  But get this rule - we cannot have practice unless an AT is present.  But they are required to travel with our JV teams now.  So if the JV team leaves after school and the AT goes with them then how can we have practice?  Luckily we play JV on Thursday so our varsity practice is a walk through.  We practice without the AT since it's short and no contact.