Skip to main content

Reply to "Injury and showcasing"

I feel your pain.  

My son got a deep bone bruise from a 90 mph fastball to the wrist, early fall of his senior year, just before we were headed to the Arizona Senior Fall Classic, after basically an entire junior year lost to a back injury.  Really bad timing.  Just as he was getting whole during the summer, and getting back into the swing of things, after almost an entire spring on the DL, he starting to play like his old self again,  the fastball strikes.

We knew that he wouldn't be performing at 100%.  But he  had had so many setbacks by then that he really really l wanted to go to the Fall Classic and give what he could, especially since he could still play defense all out and run the bases all out.  Swinging a bat was really painful.

Needless to say, he did not perform up to his normal standards. Several coaches were there to check him out.  I was actually sitting next to one in the stands, who was telling the coach next to him that he was there to check out the right fielder, who was my son.      The school he will be playing for for the fall was also at one of his games.

After the Classic, we followed up with the schools that we had sent his schedule to, to express his continued interest.  We did explain to coaches about the bone bruise too and also mentioned that he would be shutting it down until he was fully whole.  Not all coaches responded.  Several who did wrote nice, sympathetic notes back, including the school that he ended up playing for.   One school followed up later in December with a personalized note saying that they were still in the market for a 2015 outfielder,  and that they wondered if he was healthy enough yet to come to the December camp.    (They had seen him at an earlier event, just before the injury, and he had apparently impressed them enough to get on the board, if not at the top of the board._ Unfortunately he wasn't and they moved in another direction. 

I still don't know whether we did him more harm than good by going.  Which doesn't really help you decide, I know.   One thing to think about is that although it's kind of late,  many of the High Academic schools that will be at the Stanford Camp will probably also be at the Arizona Senior Fall Classic.    If he's likely to be closer to 100% by then, you might think about that as a substitute.  

Hope that helps a little.