Skip to main content

Reply to "Injury and showcasing"

I think many miss the dates when an update is added. Obviously, it's been awhile. As to showcasing when not 100%, it's a dilemma that doesn't have an answer as simple as many think. Simply saying, "don't do it" and leaving it at that is a little too simplistic. That is probably great advise in 95% of cases, but there are exceptions. It happened to us. My 2018 son was gong through a painful glute injury last summer. In the mix was a PBR showcase from which rankings were very dependent on. We decided to pitch him. It was painful, but his injury was not one that was going to permanently hurt him if he pitched through it (it would probably extend the time needed to heal). He threw two innings. He threw 85 (had been at 86 and 87 before the injury) and sat 84-85. It drew a lot of attention and led to some contacts we otherwise wouldn't have made. He came in with the first 2018 rankings at #2 in the state which has drawn further interest. Now, he could just as easily have not done well and it would have been a waste. But, he was not yet on a lot of radars, so it wouldn't have hurt him a lot. However, when I look at the video they took and posted, I cringe. He looks like total $%#&, mechanically.