Skip to main content

Reply to "Inmates are running the asylum..."

First of all I think the parents should NOT put all the “blame” off on the 13 year olds. Secondly they should have explained their intentions on the front end, prior to making the commitment to play baseball. I also think at that age parents need to still be in the teaching mode and setting an example of making and honoring commitments. If the players and the parents want to go to the basketball tournament so be it. You can’t change that but I wouldn’t let them off the hook so easy. Here is the way I would handle it. Call a team meeting with parents and players. Discuss all the routine items, you know: fitted hats ... bubble gum allowed only on away games ... and then explain “your” problem and ask for everyone’s help. Let the basketball players and their parents tell the whole team they would rather play in a basketball tournament that play in the baseball tournament. Listen to the teams suggestions. They may want to replace the players or they may want to pick up a few ringers for that tournament or they may want to pass on the tournaments all together. See what shakes out.
Fungo