Skip to main content

Reply to "inner elbow pain 13 yr old"

mysonsacatcher posted:
Smitty28 posted:

I think he will be fine.  I've known several kids that suffered fractured medial epicondyle (from throwing, not from an impact injury such as yours).  In each case (with and without surgical repair) the athletes experienced full recovery and had excellent throwing velocity as they matured.  Neither of these kids pitched but I'm not sure that would have mattered.  My recollection is that recovery was on the order of 4 months to begin throwing program and 6-8 months before game ready.  PT was essential and really needs to be done diligently to restore full range of motion.

We will do what ever is needed and will stay the course.  I am just hoping my son will not lose faith and will work through the pain of therapy.  He just needs to know that the outcome can be a positive situation.  If he knows that, then I believe that he will be able to motivate himself.  This will be a massive test of his patience, desire and toughness.  He and I came up with a new saying: "There isn't but one way to eat an elephant.......one bite at a time"

He's still very young in the scheme of things, and even though it's a bad time of year and he'll miss this season, the good news is that it's bone (which heals 100%) and the ortho said good things about his ligaments.  When he's 15/16 and playing all this will be ancient history, and the break at 13 may have the effect of re-energizing his hunger.