Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest?"

Hey TWOBOYS:
Twoboys posted:

Hey Juergensen -- this is not a court and you don't have to prove your point!  We are all here to help, and you can take or leave advice as you like. [Trust me, I do. ]  I am glad your son wrote back and you already received a reply.  I guess that you might still see what happens, as the high academic D3 world casts a very wide net, but this is a good sign. [Glad to hear that. I thought so too.]

Having said all that, RJM is not wrong. [If RJM's son ever gave Headfirst his GPA or test scores when he registered - for dissemination to the countless unknown coaches that attend HF - that would certainly contradict his advice to me above. That was my question and point. But we don't know if RJM's son did that because RJM hasn't told us.] We know HF very well and had a 2018 friend who did not have a GPA (at a private school) and had not taken any standardized tests as he went his rising junior year.  He registered, no problem. So it is NOT a requirement as HF will take your money no matter what your GPA or scores are!  [True. My son went to HF this past summer as a rising Junior and had no SAT or ACT test scores at the time, and so didn't report any (gave only his GPA and PSAT).] Plus your son (or a parent) submitting them is considered "self reporting."   HF does not have a minimum and does not verify any of the info, they merely pass it on so that some of their 100 coaches who care can weed out guys who they know are not academically qualified.    

When a school is seriously interested, they will do a "pre read" with admissions.  This is not the coach reviewing your son's info, it is the admissions dept. giving the coach info as to whether he should recruit your son based on official transcripts and scores, often submitted directly from your HS.  For HA D3 pre reads normally start occurring spring of junior year and throughout the summer. [My son is a Junior. We'll know more next summer!] It often takes a few days to a week or two depending upon the school, time and backlog.  If they do not do a pre read, your son is likely not one of their top recruits and will not receive admissions support.

Thanks.

Last edited by juergensen