Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest During Stanford Camp--First Coach Phone Call"

cabbagedad posted:

Congrats to your son on the interest!  You said he has been emailing this particular coach so it shouldn't be anything to get stressed about since they already have dialog.  I would suggest he have a few new questions ready about the school or program and be prepared to answer questions like where he is in the process, what other schools he is talking to, if he plans on making a decision soon, etc.

As long as he is respectful and himself and shows interest in the program, he'll be fine. 

You said...

Coach asked son when a good time would be to talk and son said he would get back to him.  Since his flight did not leave until later this evening, I suggested to son he should offer some time to talk today, but son said, "I am sure tomorrow will be fine."

I am probably reading too much into this but it almost sounds as if son is thinking he dictates when he will talk to the coach.  Even though the coach made the courteous comment, I would, instead, suggest that son offers multiple timeframes and shows flexibility to make himself available when it is convenient for the coach.

The text came in just before son was playing his last game at Stanford, and at the time he didn't know what time his flight home was or what his schedule looked like for today (he has a tournament with his summer team that starts on the 4th, but he wasn't sure if he'd have a game today until he checked with me), so he responded right away letting him know he would get back to him, but didn't want to throw out a time until he knew for sure he was available.  He is going to text back this morning that he is available all day except for a couple of hours when he has something scheduled.