Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest During Stanford Camp--First Coach Phone Call"

NorCalBBDad posted:

Wow! That's fantastic news! I'll let others with more experience comment on the substances and nuances of the HC conversations, and I don't want to get off track, but at some point I'd love to hear your family's impression of the camp.

I can't give a detailed report, as I wasn't there.  But, from the feedback I got from my son and husband, it was overall a good experience.  Son had fun, really liked his coach and said there was a lot of activity with practices, BP and games.  There is a wide range of ages/talent and so some of it is luck of the draw in terms of what team you are on.  It's an individual showcase, not team, and there are plenty of opportunities to showcase individual skills, but the kids on the "good" teams had a couple advantages in that (1) players got more at bats in games because they went through line up more times and (2) if you have 1 or 2 superstars on your team you are likely to have more coaches watching your games.  For example, son's team was not very good and had mostly younger players, so even with 9 innings and a 1-1 count for each batter, he only got 2 at bats in 2 of the 3 games (3 at bats in 1 game).  First game, he was batting 3rd in the lineup and still only got 2 at bats (struck out first time against a good pitcher and second time got a different pitcher that was struggling to throw strikes so he got walked twice and never even got something he could swing at--balls were bouncing in front of the plate), so that was a frustrating start. 

I will say, he did Headfirst last summer and that camp seems more conducive to kids talking with coaches in between games, etc.  In fact, they really encourage the kids to do so and it seems the coaches there expect it and are welcoming of it.  Son had a few brief conversations with coaches at Stanford while he was doing drills/BP, but said he didn't really see coaches in between games/events that he could go up and talk to.