Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest During Stanford Camp--First Coach Phone Call"

PABaseball posted:
2020Hopeful posted:

Coach asked son when a good time would be to talk and son said he would get back to him.  Since his flight did not leave until later this evening, I suggested to son he should offer some time to talk today, but son said, "I am sure tomorrow will be fine."  I admire his confidence and self-restraint (if it were me, I would have wanted to talk today while things were hot!), but I am sure he was also physically and mentally drained and just wanted some down time before traveling home.  

This will be his first phone call with a college coach, so if any of you have any thoughts on questions he should ask or things he should say at this stage of the process, I'd love to hear them!

One thing. Don't make excuses like physical and mental exhaustion. He went to a baseball camp, he was asked to set up a phone call - that is not physically or mentally taxing on a teenager. He's tired I get it. But he will be a lot more tired when he has to go to morning lifts from 6-7:30, then class from 8-1, then practice from 2-6, then eat something quickly before study hall/tutoring from 7-9. Then finish any leftover hw, studying, etc all while keeping gf happy, seeing friends, having a social life, etc. 

I'm not trying to be harsh, but it is easy to get caught up in the excitement and assume things are in the bag. These guys don't work day jobs, this is what they do. He is already on his way to another camp/showcase/game to see another kid. Or on the phone with another kid who plays his position. I get that he didn't know the schedule for the day but a simple check in with you and then a response back to the coach would be the route you take next time. "Hey coach I have a flight at ____, as long as it's before ____ I'm available to talk. Or I can give you a call sometime tomorrow if that works better for you."

The interest is great, now the goal is having a conversation and getting on campus. Good luck. 

"Hey coach I have a flight at ____, as long as it's before ____ I'm available to talk. Or I can give you a call sometime tomorrow if that works better for you."

To be clear, this would have been my preferred approach, and is what I suggested to him that he do yesterday, but he didn't, and to a large degree I think I have to let him take ownership of the process (and the results or lack thereof).  That doesn't mean I am not going to make suggestions and sometimes push a bit, but ultimately he controls his actions/decisions.

By the way, he now has a call scheduled with the coach, so we'll see how that goes....