Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest from area scout - moving fast - overwhelmed"

I will add some thoughts.

Only the family knows if a kid is ready for prolife straight out of HS; no travel ball coach, advisor or teacher knows your son as well. Only the family knows if he can do laundry, balance a check book, get a haircut, amuse himself, etc. - no recent "friend" has that insight. READ SOME THREADS ON THIS SITE to try to get an understanding  of prolife and ask is my kid really, really, really ready for this?

Moreover, most of these baseball people have a conflict of interest: they dont get paid unless a kid is drafted and signed. (Even my son's personal coach, who had become a family friend by the time of the draft (and remains so many years later), had a skewed perspective tilting to becoming a pro out of HS.)

Be wary of anyone who says a decision to go pro is easy; actually, the decision is easy but the ramifications, the options forgone are often hidden behind wishful thinking and cliches.

All who  receive attention/questionnaires are to be congratulated. It is affirming you're good and have potential. BUT, the decision is hard and requires a family to do the homework - not an outsider. There may come a time the outsider is needed, but not until it is determined the kid has a slot/like slot chance.

Don't fall for the urban myths; just because one family has an advisor since the kid was 9 doesn't mean a thing to you. Research and learn.

Last edited by Goosegg