Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest from area scout - moving fast - overwhelmed"

Thanks so much for this advice! My 2020 will not be going to the draft over college...no matter what. He will only be 17 when he graduates, and JUST converted to a pitcher this year (has been a catcher almost exclusively for 10 years). He's not ready to live on his own somewhere with guys in their mid-20s. He's got a great deal for college with a D1 who is excited about investing in his future and we greatly admire the coaching staff...and I want my 2020 to get his degree. 

It's just such a weird situation because these guys talk to my son instead of us (and I understand that he's got to handle this himself), but because he's 16, he doesn't know what questions to ask. So my husband and I are left with a ton of ambiguity. We just don't know how to handle the attention appropriately. When we were still recruiting, we were polite to everyone...you never know who knows who. So we wanted to be polite to the scouts but wanted to proceed wisely too. We have never done this before, and don't know what we should or shouldn't be doing. 

What we know: 

1. The scout has connected us with a very amazing opportunity for 18U summer ball with a nationally ranked team. He's meeting the coach of that team tomorrow. We are very thankful for that. 

2. The scout has connected us with a MLB Scout Team (not sure if that's what you call them) and 2020 is going to decline pursuing that opportunity, based on advise from his college coach. They told him the those MLB Scout teams for Fall Ball are more for those who aren't committed to college yet.

3. The scout has talked to his cross-checker about our 2020. 

What we don't know: 

1. Do we keep building the relationship with the area scout? We don't want to lead him along, making him think we are open to the draft, but don't want to burn bridges either. Is this a good person to know for the future? Or do we just keep to the "be polite to everyone" mantra? 

Thanks!