Skip to main content

Reply to "Interest from area scout - moving fast - overwhelmed"

I will agree with you YOUNGGUN.  My middle son was the kid who was mid 90's as a high school LHP.  He got interest in draft in HS but many could not decide if he was a hitter or a pitcher.  6'3" 235 who hit with incredible power from left side and great skills at 1st.  Went to the Citadel and lost speed each year he was there.  Ended up being upper 80's by his senior year.  Never hit a pitch even though he was told he would be a two-way player.  He led them in HR's every fall but never got to hit in the spring.  PC was a power pitcher.  He just had the philosophy of throw it hard and let it go.  They threw less bullpens than when he was in HS and he threw less.  He was the Saturday starter as a freshman and then bounced back and forth between the Saturday/Sunday starter and middle reliever.  Whatever they felt they needed most at the time.  I think if I had known how it was truly going to be I would have pushed him into the draft out of HS even though we loved his time at the Citadel.

My younger son was different.  Great bat with power but is a switch hitter.  Upper 80's touching low 90's with great control of four pitches at any time in any count.  It will be interesting to see the differences in them as he progresses.   Younger son is also being considered 2-way but the difference already is he is getting time in the cages.  He knows to get at bats he will have to outwork every other hitter to even get a chance.

Last edited by PitchingFan