Skip to main content

Reply to "Interesting article"

roothog66 posted:
2019Dad posted:
RJM posted:

Chances are if a kid is athletic enough to learn to hit at fourteen there's another sport he's athletic enough to advance far more quickly. If relating to spring lacrosse comes to mind. I've seen athletic studs learn lacrosse at fourteen and develop into college prospects in two, three years.

This does not mean the game is easy. It's just easier for an athletic stud than baseball at a later age.

A very athletic kid could learn to be a stud wide receiver or defensive back in a couple of years. That is if he can handle the contact.

Hockey, not a chance due to skating. A kid could become a shooter or rebounder in basketball. He's not going to pick up dribbling quickly. With quick feet he can be taught adequate defense.

its also very hard to pick up ball handling in soccer. My son played football and middle school while continuing to play goal in travel soccer. He said those two years off the field not handling the ball killed his ball handling skills for high level high school soccer. The coach had him pegged as a goalie since he was a preteen anyway. 

Interesting observation, RJM. I have a (very, very athletic) cousin who started playing lacrosse in 10th grade -- by senior year he was named an All-American and got a full scholarship to a Top 10 program. Would be hard to do that in baseball (though, yes, I know about Lorenzo Cain).

I remember in the eighth grade I had a friend who was amazingly athletic - excellent at any sport he tried except baseball. We took him out once water skiing. He had never been before. He wanted to try it slalom. He fell the first time, but was up and skiing like he had been doing it for years on the second try.

Reminds me of my son when he was 10 yrs old or so and took in out for ice skating for the first time.  He got out on the ice and it didn't take long at all before he was skating round just fine.  His mom asked him "how do you do that so well."   And his reply was "I just see it, then I do it."  His mom's face still had a puzzled look.  Whatever it is, son did well in any athletic activity he did.  It's an amazing talent to have.