Skip to main content

Reply to "Interesting correlation between pitching speed and body growth."

MLB, I agree. In the pre-game workouts between Seattle and Arizona I witnessed Ichiro Suzuki hitting them out at will. Six, seven, eight in a row.. unbelievable. What is he.. 5'9 160 lbs? Size does not equal power.

With respect to pitching, here are some comments I made on another site. The subject was pitch-counts and overuse, but talked about the Kinetic Chain, what Tim Lincecum uses so effectively. I would appreciate your feedback, either pro or con. Thanks!

*****Pitch Counts and Overuse*****

I have actually done a lot of research into this subject and I would like to share my thoughts.

The modern-era emphasis on pitch counts in protecting young arms is somewhat perplexing to me. Pitchers 20-30 years ago threw more pitches and more innings than those today, yet the evidence shows the arms today are at greater risk.. why? There are numerous factors.

First, in my opinion the kids today just do not throw enough, yet they pitch too much. I have seen many examples of kids pitching 6-7 innings early in the season when they hadn't picked up a ball until just a few weeks ago. A young arm needs a "base" on which to build, and by throwing regularly this readies the arm for a full season of pitching. Of special importance is long-tossing, as this stretches out the arm doing three important things: 1) Reinforcing proper arm-slot and throwing mechanics (it's hard to throw a ball far when you're not throwing it right), 2) Stretching out the muscles and tendons giving them more endurance, 3) Enhancing arm speed (improving velocity).

Second, the arm typically gives out when a pitcher is tired. It is the legs of the pitcher--not the arm--that get tired. A poorly conditioned, tired pitcher will unecessarily alter his throwing mechanics, typically "short-arming" the ball, creating undue force on the elbow and shoulder. Pitching is a "whip"--a kinetic chain--and you pitch with your body not your arm. The arm, hand, and ball are just those things at the end of the chain. All one has to do to prove this theory is to stand flat-footed and try to throw the ball as hard as he can. He cannot. Without the kinetic chain, the body in motion, there is no velocity. Good pitching coaches know this so the first thing they look for in a tired pitcher is a sudden drop in velocity, signaling a break in the kinetic chain and therefore a troubling alteration of mechanics. Therefore, a young pitcher may be at risk either at high or low pitch counts, depending upon mechanics and conditioning.

Third, high-strikeout pitchers are not necessarily at greater risk. The high strikeout guy can give up one basehit while striking out the side yet throw 17 pitches in seven or eight minutes. Now he's back on the bench drinking Gatorade. The ground ball pitcher might labor with errors behind him or hits resulting in a prolonged inning which contributes to his fatigue. And because it is the legs/body that become tired, not the arm, he could be at a similar or even higher risk than the high-pitch count guy.

Fourth, the current emphasis on pitch counts can actually be counter-intuitive. A young pitcher who is used to being yanked after 60-65 pitches can hardly be expected to suddenly throw 110, and when he does he may experience trouble. Thus, the emphasis on pitch counts has become a self-fulfilling prophecy actually reducing his endurance.

Fifth, the greatest risk may occur not during a single high pitch count game but during a subsequent high pitch count game where there was no adequate rest between. In other words, don't have a kid throw 120 then 130 pitches on three days rest.
Finally, a big contributor to arm injury is, well, pitching. It is hard for a young pitcher to develop a blazing fastball (and career) unless he throws more and pitches more. So the safest thing to do would be to not pitch at all! But fear is foreign to these athletes that realize the highest levels of baseball. They don't go out onto a mound thinking about a potential career-ending injury, they go out wanting to beat their opponent, so to them the risk is entirely acceptable.

Stay healthy, and love the game!
Last edited by Bum