Skip to main content

Reply to "Interesting Recruiting Dilemma"

I have to chuckle about the AA comment. If your son feels pressured about committing to a school, wonder how he could handle the pressure of AA at 18. Teams DO NOT place their HS players in AA, most players, even first round picks, need to go through the system. My son's friend was a 4th overall pick out of college, at 22, almost 23 struggling in high A. In son's organization top prospect is 22 and in AAA, drafted out of HS he has been in the system for 3 years. I htink you need to understand how the system works, to come to conclusions.

You have been bitten by the pro draft bug, happens to everyone, however, do know that those scouts are doing their job by indentifing prospects early. There are a lot of things that can change in 10 months. FYI, my son was within the top 100 HS playwers in his class, yet projected, 7-10 rounds and he felt he really wanted to go to college first, knowing that things don't always work out. Things worked wel for him, going to school increaed his slot by making significant improvements as a player. But it doesn't happen like that all of the time.
His college choice, his scholarship amount and the desire to go to school first made him undraftable. If your son truely wants to begin a pro career before college, he should strongly indicate that. But do understand he will not begin his career in AA.
You've received some good advice, IMO, have your son choose a school where he feels is a good fit, and that may or may not be living home to save some money. The total college experience includes leaving home, learning to be on your own but never quarantees anything, as we all know that not anything is guaranteed in life.
It does however provide you with an education and some really great memories. Smile
It is a great dilemma to have, however, it shouldn't actuallu be a dilemma until you son is faced with being drafted, turning pro or going of to college. You'll enjoy a whole lot more this year if you take one step at a time, that would be at this time, accepting a college offer where he feels confortable.
Last edited by TPM