Skip to main content

Reply to "Interesting Recruiting Dilemma"

quote:
Originally posted by Dad04:
The fact your son is ranked in the top whatever means he is well thought of. Rankings can change as the draft nears, but the only opinion that ultimately matters is the MLB scouting directors' opinions. They write the checks. If he wants to play pro baseball right now and forever, then do it. If he's not sure, then go to college.

You've posted a few posts regarding academic questions about someone you know. I am going to assume it is either you the parent or the player making inquiries. Most people don't come here asking those type of questions (regarding someone else). Roll Eyes

LOI and NLI can mean different things depending on where you are signing. A school may give you a letter stating that they have extended an offer for such and such so that there is no confusion the day you sign, which for D1 is Novemeber. If your son (or you) are that good, an advisor will find his way to your doorstep, they will help you with the process.

It doesn't matter who you have played and kept up with the draft is about an individual and his signability, his talent, his projection his position.

Not to repeat what has already been said, I am sure that you are aware of the MLB scholarship fund. Unless you are one of the top in the first round, in FL, no matter what the scholarship amount in or out of state, you will be given money according to what state tuition is (as in most states). For example, if you have a 100K scholarship and you fall in a 175K bonus range, they are not going to put aside 100K for your education unless tehy can't live without you. You might be able to ask them to find a few more dollars for your signing bonus, but not for your education. Strange as it sounds and I have said before, my son got more to finish one year from his team than some teams were willing to give out of HS. This was based on that fact that he needed x amount of dollars, to earn his degree where he began, which was out of state.
If college money is a concern and how you are going to pay for it, pro ball may be the players best interest. There is a lot more than college tuition that is invloved, travel, spending money, off campus housing after freshman year, etc. Unless teh player is a pitcher, with new restraints on scholarships and money available, I would be shocked if more was offered was given.

You definetly have the fever, might say well over 100 degrees. Best of luck, let us know how things work out in june, by that time you may have done a 360.

pia,
I tend to agree with what you are stating. 2A and 3A maybe misundersttod for AA or AAA.
Last edited by TPM