Skip to main content

Reply to "Interesting Recruiting Dilemma"

Good reply, thank you. What do you mean by the fever? I am trying to amass the facts during what is a short decision making time frame. We are trying to figure out what is best for our son, taking all things into consideration.

When you say "fever" is that meant to be negative? If so, what else would you suggest? If we don't try to weigh in all factors at this point we may miss out on what could be his best opportunity. We're still not sure what that is, at this point.

Up until the last couple of months, we have just enjoyed his baseball success as a family and have tried not to lord it over other parents and players. Our son is a normal, humble guy with interests in many things besides baseball - girls and friends mostly.

I just see this period of the next year or so as an intense experience in which we have to try to understand the ins and outs of all of this.

For instance, I would like someone to explain to me what advantage a Letter of Intent is to an athlete? It seems to me that the advantage is all for the college since they aren't really committing anything. The National Letter of Intent looks a whole lot better. You have a commitment, you have a deal. Until you sign the NLOI what do you really have? If I am mistaken, I would like to be corrected.

Another question I have is, what is the advantage of the athlete living in a dorm room vs at home? Here at home we are still helping him out during his development. We can still make his juices and protein drinks and cheer him on. When he goes away who is watching out for him? Frat parties, girls who see money coming his way, other athletes who want to take his spot? He likes living at home. He will get plenty of time to run around with the other coyotes when and if he gets to the pros.

A crystal ball would be most helpful right about now.

I am enjoying your posts, all of you, even those of you who think I'm making some of this up (why would I do that - is what I'm describing that farfetched?).

I like to do research. It is good to get the facts and the knowledge. Where else can you get it but by asking questions? If that is fever, the world needs more of it.