Skip to main content

Reply to "Interesting Recruiting Dilemma"

2Fast,
Our son is close to the end of his baseball career but hoping it continues as a coach.
Maybe I can bring some "reality" to your situation through the things he has taught me.
The two most important aspects of baseball, for a player or their parent, include the recognition that what you did yesterday isn't a reflection of tomorrow. Baseball is a game played in the future. During the transition out of high school, for the first time, your son, whether he goes to college or is drafted and signs professionally, will be competing on a field where everyone is of near equal ability, some will be better.
The other important aspect to remember is baseball is a game of failure. As you progress past high school, at some point, your son is very likely to fail. Nearly every player does. When they confront that situation, their mental, not physical ability will provide the guidance between future success and failure.
In this corner, I have no real problem with your celebration of the successes. It sounds like it is earning your son a lot of looks at where he might progress.
But baseball beyond high school is a lot like investing. Past performance isn't any guarantee of future success. Your son is rapidly approaching the point where what he does tomorrow is far more important that what he did yesterday.
Good luck to each of you. In some ways, your "jobs" overlap. In many ways they will not. On this board you are going to find a lot of very helpful information to know where the separation exists.
Last edited by infielddad