Skip to main content

Reply to "Intrinsic factors for draft eligible players"

Dear bbscout---

I take umbrage of your comments reagrding my piece on faults scouts do not like to see in hitters, which appears on the website www.attheyard.com. I understand that as the moderator you are entitled to give your opinion of right vs. wrong when discussing questions, but keep in mind yours is also just an opinion and not an absolute with regard to the eight faults listed in the article. The line "Don't pay attention to what he says here about hitting faults" comes off as an absolute.

The basis of the list is from actual scouting manuals produced by major league clubs and are the compilation of many scouts opinions and views, that have been formulated throughout years of experience.

Invariably, each scouting meeting that I have attended over the last 15 years; the scouting staff has debated and discussed the finer points of hitting (as well as pitching, etc.) These were the eight faults that have came to the forefront in those meetings and the combined scouting knowledge of those involved.

Thus, I would like those who read the postings and the article to understand that the faults are given to you from myself, but were derived by many professional scouts. Know that I do stand by the article, but am always open to learn more about the game of baseball.

Good luck in your scouting pursuits Mr. bbscout if you truly like the hitters with the hand hitches, the long strides, the head pulling, the upper cutting, the sweeping of the bat and those who wrap the bat. It is my understanding that most other scouts are staying away from the hitters who have these faults.

As I noted in the article "We can take a walk through the Hall of Fame and see the many different hitting techniques; but in a in a general sense, these are the some of the primary faults which scouts do not like to see."

Hitting is a diffult task---many say it is the most difficult in all of sports. Likewise it is also difficult to scout.

Best wishes to all and keep swinging.
BDB